1941

Planning of the “Friedrichstrasse Imperial Railway Bunker” by Karl Bonatz under supervision of Albert Speer, “General Building Inspector for the Reich Capital”.

1942

Construction of the bunker as an air-raid shelter for the civilian population, built by forced labourers.

1945

Bunker occupied by the Red Army and used for prisoners of war.

1949

Use as textile warehouse.

1957

Converted into warehouse for imported tropical fruit from Cuba, managed by state-owned company “Fruit Vegetables Potatoes”. Known locally as the “banana bunker”.

1990

After German Reunification, the building becomes the property of the federal government.

1992

Techno music and fetish parties mean that the bunker gains a reputation as the hardest club in the world.

1994

The Deutsches Theater stages Simon Donald’s Lebenstoff (“Stuff of Life”) on the bunker’s fourth floor.

1995

“Sexperimenta”, a giant erotic trade fair.

1995

The New Year’s party “The Last Days of Saigon” is banned but nevertheless takes place. The authorities close the bunker.

1996

Art exhibition Files featuring Olafur Eliasson, Daniel Pflumm, Ugo Rondinone and others. 

2001

Nippon Development Corporation GmbH acquires the bunker.

2003

Christian Boros purchases the bunker to convert it to house his collection.

2007

Completion of the renovations and first public showing of installations.

2008-
2012

Boros Collection #1, first exhibition of works from the collection attracting 120,000 visitors in over 7,500 tours.

2012-2016

Boros Collection #2, second exhibition of works from the collection attracting 180,000 visitors in over 9,000 tours.